Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Day #40: January.

So today, I started thinking of all the reasons I have to hate January:
1) I have to walk through temperatures that range from -4 to 14 degrees at 7:45 in the morning to go to class.
2) Inversion. Makes Utah County to where it has the worst air quality in the nation (that is NOT an exaggeration. it's a fact.). Makes it to where I can't see my beautiful mountains even though they are only two feet away from me (that IS an exaggeration).  Makes it that much colder.
3) I can't play outside. Well I could I suppose... but I run the risk of getting frostbite or slipping on the black ice that is everywhere and becoming permanently paralyzed... which frankly would be no bueno.
4) Trying to learn a new schedule.
5) Having to leave my family after an amazing break.
6) Having to find a new place to live next year.
7) Having to pay money.
8) Having to apply to my program.


But then, as I have found is typical in my life, as soon as I started coming up with the reasons I should be miserable, I knew I was having a rotten attitude and that I really have a whole awful lot to be thankful for.  Heavenly Father has been SO good to me, and sometimes I get so caught up in the mundane (like anyone I think) that I fail to keep in the forefront of my mind the truly remarkable and incredible aspects of my life that I fail to recognize.

Hence a list of just a few reasons that I have to love January... most of which occurred just within this past week:
1) My family comes and visits me. My dad came all the way to provo to give me a blessing.  My mom came and took me shopping last Monday and out to eat and we had SO much fun! I love my mom a million red icees.
2) I have the most amazing roommates.  Seriously.  They are so amazing and I love living with them.  They are some of my really good friends and I love how much time I've had recently to spend with them: talking, watching movies, laughing, eating, painting toes, going to volleyball games, etc. etc.
3) I have the best friends from home.  The angels came and we went on an adventure. During break Bekah and I did so much together! Spencalicious came and took me to dinner!
4) Travis (the 7th brother) made Rosie and I dinner on Saturday! And played cards with us.
5) Ritchard, Ashtyn, and I made civil rights cookies! (Nikki Manaj (spelling?) took best of show)
6) I get to study something that I am SO passionate about! I love what I am going into and I am learning so much about life, how to be a better teacher, and how to be a better mom!
7) I get to walk through the cold in warm clothes to go to the preschool where I get to see the loving smiles and learn from the mouths of precious children and an amazing mentor!
8) I have the chance to listen to the Spirit and find out what I need to be doing next year.
9) I have the opportunity and the resources to be able to fulfill a dream and go to Jerusalem.  It may be a lot of money, and some extra work, but in a way, this is one of the things that I have worked for my whole life... and I am so blessed to actually see it be fulfilled.
10) I see people I know on campus and I have friends in classes and on the way to and from class that I get to talk to!
11) The frozen snow and ice is sparkly!!!
12) I could go on... but I won't.

Sometimes, it is the times that you shouldn't be able to see happiness, the times when it is hardest to muster up the strength to smile.... in these times when you turn to the Lord in prayer and with a thankful heart, you are most blessed.  If you allow yourself to open your eyes to the incredible blessings that our Father nearly SURROUNDS you with, you will grow closer to Him AND be happier.  I know that because I have seen it in my own life.

Forum today was really incredible. One of the things he talked about was going about life as a quest, with our eyes wide open to the wonder and beauty all around us; becoming passionate and purposeful in our daily learning and reaching out to others. (i'll add a link to it when it comes out, because it really was pretty phenomenal)

I challenge each of you to go about life looking for ways that the Lord has blessed you each day.
Find His hand in your life....
And pretty soon, you'll be hard-pressed to find a place where His hand is not in your life.

And that is why the good outweighs the bad for the month of January.
And why all I can say at this point is:
I LOVE JANUARY!!!!!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment